Front Yard Ambassadors (FYAP) Program
Click Here to Watch a Video about the Front Yard Ambassadors Program
The Front Yard Ambassadors Program gives Sunset District residents the opportunity to transform their front yards into vibrant, ecologically friendly and easy to maintain spaces in order to accomplish the following:
- Improve the pedestrian experience and demonstrate neighborhood pride
- Provide permeable surface to take pressure off our combined sewer system and recharge our underground aquifer
- Educate the community about what plant species are suited to our microclimate: and
- Build relationships with neighbors and encourage the community to work together
Application and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Applications are now open. 3 applications are due by April 30, 2015 to pre-qualify. A total of 5 will be due by May 15, 2015 to participate in the program. Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date about the program or email email@example.com to find out more.
Download the Application Here ( English | Chinese 中文 )
Paved yards cover 7% of the Sunset District (160 of 2,300 acres). If Sunset residents transformed 25% of those yards to permeable landscape, we would keep 20 million gallons of stormwater out of the sewer system each year.
- Total participating households as of March 2015: 35 houses on 9 blocks
- Concrete removal
- Round 1 (February 2014): 717 square feet
- Round 2 (July 2014): 1,211 square feet
- Round 3 (April 2015): 1,040 square feet
- Total Round 1 & 2 = 1,928 square feet ...and counting!
- 1 square foot of concrete removed = 12 gallons/year of stormwater diverted
- 2,968 square feet of concrete removed x 12 gallons/year stormwater diverted = 35,616 gallons of stormwater removed each year from the system
Round 1 Planting Day: February 22, 2014
Round 2 Planting Day: July 26, 2014
Before & After Photos
Map of Front Yards Completed
Please click on the map to see before and after photos of participating households and facts about each participating block.
Our Partners & Sidewalk Landscaping
Sidewalk landscaping programs exist in several organizations. To learn more about why increasing green space and permeable surfaces is important in San Francisco, visit the websites of our partners in the Front Yard Ambassadors Program below: