Front Yard Ambassadors (FYAP) Program
Click Here to Watch a Video about the Front Yard Ambassadors Program
The Front Yard Ambassadors Program gives Sunset District residents the opportunity to transform their front yards into vibrant, ecologically friendly and easy to maintain spaces in order to accomplish the following:
- Improve the pedestrian experience and demonstrate neighborhood pride
- Provide permeable surface to take pressure off our combined sewer system and recharge our underground aquifer
- Educate the community about what plant species are suited to our microclimate: and
- Build relationships with neighbors and encourage the community to work together
Application and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Applications for our Fall planting now CLOSED.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date about the program or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
1. Download the Application Here ( English | Chinese 中文 )
2. Download a Sample Letter for Outreach to Neighbors (in English and Chinese) here.
Paved yards cover 7% of the Sunset District (160 of 2,300 acres). If Sunset residents transformed 25% of those yards to permeable landscape, we would keep 20 million gallons of stormwater out of our combined sewer system each year preventing discharge into the ocean..
- Total participating households as of June 2015: 60 houses and 2 commercial properties on 14 blocks
- Concrete removal
- Round 1 (February 2014): 717 square feet
- Round 2 (July 2014): 1,211 square feet
- Round 3 (April 2015): 1,040 square feet
- Round 4 (July 2015): 1,728 square feet
- Round 5 (November 2015): 1,332 square feet
- Round 6 (April 2016): 1,007 square feet
- Total Round 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 = 7,035 square feet ...and counting!
- Amount of storm water diverted from our combined sewer system = 84,420 gallons/year. Each square foot of concrete removed is equivalent 12 gallons of storm water diverted annually.
Round 1 Planting Day: February 22, 2014
Round 2 Planting Day: July 26, 2014
Round 3 Planting Day: April 18, 2015
Round 4 Planting Day: July 7, 2015
Round 5 Planting Day: November 14, 2015
Round 6 Planting Day: April 2, 2016
Before & After Photos
Map of Front Yards Completed
Please click on the map to see before and after photos of participating households and facts about each participating block.
Our Partners & Sidewalk Landscaping
Sidewalk landscaping programs exist in several organizations. To learn more about why increasing green space and permeable surfaces is important in San Francisco, visit the websites of our partners in the Front Yard Ambassadors Program below:
To find plant recommendations best suited for your area, visit: www.sfplantfinder.com