Supervisor David Campos is a native of Puerto Barrios (Izabal), Guatemala, who came to the U.S. (with his parents and two sisters) when he was 14. Although he did not speak the language, David excelled in school, graduating at the top of his class from Jefferson High School, in South Central Los Angeles. David earned scholarships to Stanford University and Harvard Law School, from which he graduated, respectively, in 1993 and 1996.
After a few years of private practice in some of the most prestigious law firms in the country, David became a Deputy City Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco. As a Deputy City Attorney, David handled a variety of important legal matters and cases, including serving as the lead counsel in the San Francisco Unified School District’s school desegregation Consent Decree, serving on the legal team that sued the Gun Industry, and representing the City against PG&E and other energy generators.
Prior to his election as Supervisor, David served as General Counsel to the San Francisco Unified School District and as a member of the San Francisco Police Commission. Since 2004, David has been an elected member of the San Francisco Democratic County Central Committee.
- Appointed 12/04/08 to 01/08/09
- Elected November 2008 for term January 2009 to January 2013
- Elected November 2012 for term January 2013 to January 2017
Committee and Board Assignments:
- Chair, Neighborhood Services and Safety Committee
- Member, Rules Committee
- Chair, Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo)
- Chair, San Francisco County Transportation Authority (SFCTA)
- Member, Plans & Programs Committee
- Member, Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
- Member, Administration Committee, MTC
- Member, Bay Area Toll Authority Oversight Committee, MTC
- Member, Programming and Allocations Committee, MTC
- Member, Board of Directors, Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District
- Vice Chair, Government Affairs and Public Information Committee, Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District
- Stanford University (B.A., Political Science, 1993)
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1996)
Community and Other Experience
- Elected Member, SF Democratic County Central Committee (2004-present)
- San Francisco Police Commissioner (2005-08)
- General Counsel, San Francisco Unified School District (2004-07)
- Co-Chair, Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF) (2002)
- Bar Memberships: California, District of Columbia, Northern District of California, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Fluent in Spanish
Note: Click on the photo of Supervisor Campos to open high resolution copy. After opening, right click on the photo to save image.