The Board of Supervisors Budget & Legislative Analyst provides independent fiscal & policy analyses, special studies and management audit reports on City departments and programs to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
The Budget Analyst's responsibilities are defined as follows:
- Review the City and County of San Francisco's proposed Annual Budget and report recommendations to the Board of Supervisors Finance and Labor Committee.
- Analyze and report on (1) all fiscal matters in legislation referred to the Board of Supervisors" Committees; and (2) when at least five days notice is given to the budget analyst, all fiscal matters in legislation considered by the full board without reference to committee.
- Conduct management audits of City and County departments as requested by formal motion of the Board of Supervisors.
- Perform special fiscal analyses as requested by formal motion of the Board.
- Review and analyze, as necessary to perform services requested by the Board of Supervisors, all records of the City and County.
- Attend each full Board meeting and each meeting of the Board"s Finance Committee and such other Committee meetings as necessary.
- Perform all other duties as requested by a committee of the Board concerning legislation pending before it or as requested by formal motion of the Board of Supervisors.
The Budget Analyst's Office is comprised of a joint venture partnership pursuant to the requirements of the City's Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Ordinance. The Office is managed by Mr. Harvey M. Rose, CPA. The firms participating in the joint venture partnership are: Harvey M. Rose Associates, Debra A. Newman and Associates, Louie & Wong LLP Certified Public Accountants. Under the City Charter, the Budget Analyst contract must be certified annually by the Controller and the Board of Supervisors to assure that services are provided at a lower cost than if the work were performed by City employees.